The brand new Ryobi garage opener was installed and I used it last week. Ryobi experts, who are known for their innovative power tools, have created something completely new in the garage door opener world. You can add many cool accessories to the opener, such as snap-in modules. We’ll get to those later. Let’s now discuss the main features of the basic opener.
- It is powered by a 2-HP motor which ensures it will last a long time. It’s very simple. The motor that is more powerful doesn’t have as much work so it doesn’t wear out as quickly. Most openers have only a 1/4- to 1/2-HP motor.
- This machine does not have a chain or a screw drive. The door is instead driven by a steel reinforced rubber belt. It’s extremely quiet.
- An LED light provides bright light without the need to replace any bulbs. An integrated motion detector turns it on when you enter the garage.
- An app can be downloaded for any smartphone. The app allows you to control and monitor your garage door from any location on the planet with cell service. The app allows you to open the garage door for anyone at any time and see if it is closed or open. It will even show you how far it is open!
- Here’s the best part. There are seven ports on the sides that can accept special modules. These modules allow you to listen to music or stay cool during hot days. These modules will be discussed in detail shortly.
The opener was installed in Denny’s garage by Ed, my neighbor. We were initially baffled at the length of the track. The track was not long enough to allow the door to open fully. The off-the shelf unit was designed for a 7-foot tall door. Denny’s garage had an 8. We had to order a 12-in. Extension track. The installation went smoothly after that.
To activate the car remotes or the outdoor (wireless) keypads, you must follow a set of steps. We attempted to do it our way without reading the manual. This slowed down us. Follow the instructions. Everything worked perfectly once we did.
The seven ports on the sides of this opener can accept any accessories that you choose. They just tilt and snap in place, and you’re good to go. It’s as simple as pressing a button to remove them. These are the current modules:
- Extension Cord: This is a retractable cord reel measuring 30 feet with three outlets at the business end. It takes up two ports so plan accordingly. Ryobi believes this will be the most loved.
- Fan: It has three speeds and can be pivoted to direct airflow wherever you need it. Although it may not seem large, it can drive a lot of air.
- Bluetooth Speaker: The 3-watt speaker has a microphone that allows you to talk to your friends hands-free and listen to music from your phone. We were pleasantly surprised by its sound quality when streaming ‘The Dark Side of the Moon” tracks from one of the phones.
- Laser Park Assist: This module replaces a tennis ball that hangs in front of your windshield. Two lasers let you know when your car is parked in the best spot in the garage. They are activated every time the garage doors open.
- CO Alarm (Coming Soon): This device monitors temperature, humidity and carbon monoxide levels. You can monitor the levels of carbon monoxide, temperature and humidity on your smartphone. It can also be set up to notify your phone when certain levels are reached.
- The Ryobi 18-volt Lithium-Ion Battery Backup: This port is located on the front of your opener and uses the same Ryobi 18V battery as the other ONE+ Ryobi tools. The battery can open and close the door 100 times in the event of power failure. The opener has a built-in charger that keeps the battery charged.
Additional modules are in development, including a compressor module with a retractable airhose. Each module is $44-$64. The opener will cost you approximately $250. The Home Depot has everything you need for your Ryobi garage door opener.